Participation in Y Programs
Being a part of a supportive, caring community is essential to good health and well-being. That’s why we’re doubling down on Y membership as the unifying hub of Y community life.
Beginning January 1, 2023, all enrolled families in Y early childhood and school-based programs such as Y Head Start and Early Head Start will automatically receive a Y family membership with their enrollment! The membership continues annually, even during school holidays and summer months, provided you re-enroll by a specified date each year. Learn more here.
Preparing Children for Success in School and in Life
The Y in Central Maryland is a grantee for Head Start in Baltimore City. We provide children ages 3-5 a high quality early childhood education experience, including our MSDE-Certified Pre-K program. Our goal is to ensure that every child is ready for school and ready to learn. In fact, Y Head Start children routinely assess higher in school readiness than other assessed children across the state.
We work with families and local communities to strengthen the family unit through comprehensive services:
- Trained, knowledgeable and helpful staff
- FREE comprehensive services around education, health, nutrition, mental health and family services
- Family support and developmentally appropriate learning activities
- Referral services for resources such as: WIC, Infants & Toddlers, Health Care Providers, Food Pantry, Employment, and Housing
- Individual Child Progress Reports on what your child knows and can do
- Parenting workshops, trainings, and field trips
- Volunteer opportunities
- Complimentary Y family membership while families are enrolled in the program
Children are enrolled based on a selection system that ranks families by need. All children, including those with disabilities and those who are in foster care or are experiencing homelessness are welcome.
Get a better idea of our impact and performance by viewing our 2021 Community Report. Also, Y Head Start participates in the Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) program. Click to see the CACFP non-discrimination statement.
Y Head Start serves children ages 3-5 with an intentional focus to develop school readiness skills. Children are prepared to enter kindergarten ready to learn.
- Children ages 3-5
- Monday-Friday from September through June
- Full-day program from 8:30am-2:30pm
- On-site IEP services for children with disabilities
- Nutritious meals (breakfast, lunch, snack)
- Complimentary family membership to the Y while enrolled in the program
- Must reside in Baltimore City to participate
We use the Creative Curriculum; a developmentally appropriate program that promotes children’s social-emotional development and learning in the core areas of:
- social studies
Education Through Movement
I Am Moving, I Am Learning is an education through movement program that supports health and wellness while teaching/reinforcing academic concepts related to math, science and literacy. Through music and movement, educators are able to stimulate problem-solving and critical thinking skills and reinforce a variety of academic concepts while developing the motor system and laying the foundation for a positive attitude towards physical activity.
Y preschool specialists provide 30 minutes a week of I Am Moving, I Am Learning programming using monthly themes to incorporate the Head Start Performance Outcomes for Math and Science and support the school readiness indicators identified by the Maryland Model for School Readiness. Additionally, they provide training to parents so they are familiar with the songs and understand the concepts being taught/reinforced.
I Am Moving, I Am Learning is funded by a grant through Giant Food's Our Family Foundation.
MSDE-CERTIFIED PRE-K PROGRAM
Our MSDE-Certified Pre-K program is intentionally focused on developing school readiness skills and is available to qualifying families with children who are 4 years old by September 1, 2022 (older 3 year olds may also be accepted).
Your child's skills will be fostered through individualized learning experiences using an evidence-based curriculum that promotes exploratory learning through literacy, art, music, age-appropriate STEM activities, and more.
- Morning and afternoon learning sessions, Monday - Friday
- Curriculum-based learning focused on school readiness
- High quality educational activities led by an MSDE-certified teacher
- Nutritious breakfast, lunch and snack offered daily
- Maryland EXCELS quality rating of Level 4 or higher (highest level is 5)
- Weekly family check-ins
- Family engagement and support services to strengthen the family unit and contribute to healthy childhood development
How to Enroll Your Child
TO GET STARTED:
Review the list of locations below to see if we serve your area. Create a Head Start account to submit the pre-registration application to determine eligibility for the program. A member of our team will contact you with additional information. To start, click the button below, then click the REGISTER button on the next page.
You may also email us at email@example.com. The Family Service Advocate or Family Development Specialist will explain the enrollment process and arrange a time to meet with you to complete an application. Please be prepared to bring the following documents:
- Proof of age (birth certificate or legal document for child 3-5)
- Proof of Residency (current lease, phone bill, BGE, etc.)
- Proof of Income (W2, tax form 1040, 2 current consecutive check stubs, SSI, child support, etc.)
Children are enrolled based on a selection system that ranks families by need. Upon enrollment you must provide:
- A record of your child’s immunizations
- Documentation of your child’s most recent physical and lead test/level
- Other supporting documents as requested
Y Head Start services are available at the following locations:
|BELAIR HEAD START
4605 Belair Road, 21206
|DICKEY HILL HEAD START
(Dickey Hill Elementary/
5025 Dickey Hill Road, 21207
900 E. 33rd Street, 21218
|EAST FAYETTE HEAD START
1116 E. Fayette Street, 21202
|EDGEWOOD HEAD START
(Edgewood Elementary School)
1900 Edgewood Street, 21216
|EDMONDSON HEAD START
(Westside Skills Center)
4501 Edmondson Ave, 21229
ELGIN HEAD START
MSDE Pre-K Available
|HILTON HEAD START
(Dr. Nathan A. Pitts/Ashburton
3835 Hilton Road, 21215
|KIRK AVENUE HEAD START
2525 Kirk Avenue, 21218
|LINDEN HEAD START
(Dorothy I. Height
2011 Linden Avenue, 21217
|NORTH BEND HEAD START
(North Bend Elementary/
181 North Bend Road, 21229
|NORTH CHESTER HEAD START
John Rodgers School)
100 N. Chester Street, 21231
|PAYSON HEAD START
(Matthew A Henson
1600 N. Payson Street, 21217
|WEST PRESTON HEAD START
(The Historic Samuel
507 W. Preston Street, 21201
|SHERWOOD HEAD START
(Leith Walk Elementary/
1235 Sherwood Avenue, 21239
|YORKWOOD HEAD START
(Yorkwood Elementary School)
5931 Yorkwood Road, 21239
PUBLIC RELEASE: The Y in Central Maryland announces participation in the MSDE Child and Adult Care Food Program.