PREPARING CHILDREN FOR SUCCESS IN SCHOOL AND IN LIFE
The Y is the sole grantee for Head Start in Anne Arundel County. We provide children with a high quality early childhood education experience so they can achieve the best possible start in life and enter school ready to learn and succeed.
We offer a Head Start program for preschool children ages 3 – 5 and an Early Head Start program for pregnant women, infants and toddlers ages 0 – 3. Our goal is to ensure that every child is school-ready. In fact, Y Head Start children routinely assess higher in school readiness than other assessed children across the state. We work with families and local communities to strengthen the family unit through comprehensive services that include:
- early intervention
- education; prenatal education
- parent involvement & family focus
- parenting workshops
- community partnerships
- nutrition and health services
- disabilities (10% of our funded enrollment includes children with disabilities)
Our program is accredited and designated by the Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE) Excels program as level 5 (highest level). Additionally, we also partner with Anne Arundel County Public Schools to provide a full-day pre-K program with supplemental services.
Y Head Start families receive a complimentary family membership to the Y while enrolled in the program and we offer parents leadership opportunities on Advisory Committees, Policy Council and the Maryland Head Start Board.
Get a better idea of our impact by viewing our Y Head Start 2016-2017 Annual Report.
EARLY HEAD START
Early Head Start is a year-round, home-based program where Family Development Specialists work with pregnant women, infants and families in their homes on a weekly basis.
In Early Head Start, we use the Creative Curriculum for Infants and Toddlers. The philosophy behind this curriculum is that in the early years, children explore the world around them by using all of their senses. Through the use of this curriculum, we aim to:
- Help children become enthusiastic learners
- Allow children to learn at their own pace and in ways that are best for them
- Instill a positive sense of self that will make a difference throughout their lives
- Focus on the full development of the whole child: spirit, mind & body
- Social Development – helping children feel comfortable, to trust their environment
- Emotional Development – build self-confidence
- Physical Development – help children increase their large and small motor skills
- Cognitive Development – help children become confident learners by letting them tryout their own ideas and experience success
TRADITIONAL HEAD START
Traditional Head Start is a full-day (8:30am - 2:30pm) program for children ages 3-5 where we teach skills related to school readiness as recommended and measured by the Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE).
The curriculum is skills-based and involves the family as active partners in healthy growth and development. Working with parents and maintaining high quality classroom environments with Hatch TeachSmart boards and TouchSmart touchscreen computers, we prepare children to be successful by teaching them age-appropriate fundamentals such as:
- Reading - letter sounds, word families, reading/being read to, book awareness, etc.
- Writing - letter shapes, spacing, upper and lowercase, punctuation, etc.
- Math - numbers, counting, grouping, addition, subtraction, math facts, etc.
- Circle/Small Group Time - name recognition, calendar, dramatic play, educational songs, science, library, etc.
- Health & Wellness - I Am Moving, I Am Learning; a preschool curriculum that teaches and reinforces academic skills through music and movement, daily outdoor play, swimming (where available), physical education and more; generously funded by Giant Food's Our Family Foundation
- Arts & Humanities - replicating the work of the masters, finger painting, crafts, etc.
HOW TO ENROLL YOUR CHILD
Head Start is a fully funded program. Families must apply for their child’s scholarship to participate.
To apply, please review the list of locations below and contact the Head Start center nearest you. You can also email us at email@example.com. The Family Service Advocate or Family Development Specialist will explain the enrollment process and arrange a time to meet with you to complete an application. Please be prepared to bring the following documents:
- Proof of age (birth certificate or legal document for child 0-5, proof of pregnancy)
- Proof of Residency (current lease, phone bill, BGE, etc.)
- Proof of Income (W2, tax form 1040, 2 current consecutive check stubs, SSI, child support, etc.)
Children are enrolled based on a selection system that ranks families by need. Upon enrollment you must provide:
- A record of your child’s immunizations
- Documentation of your child’s most recent physical and lead test/level
- Other supporting documents as requested
- Annapolis Gardens Head Start
213 Croll Dr., Annapolis, MD 21404
- Freetown Head Start Center
282 Whitaker Rd., Pasadena, MD 21122
- Lloyd Keaser Head Start Center
5757 Belle Grove Rd., Brooklyn Park, MD 21225
- Lula G. Scott Head Start Center
6243 Shadyside Rd., Shadyside, MD 20164
- Meade Village Head Start Center
1710 Meade Circle Rd., Severn, MD 21144
- Y Head Start at Belle Grove Elementary
4502 Belle Grove Rd., Brooklyn, MD 21225
- Y Head Start at Eastport Elementary
420 5th St., Annapolis, MD 21403
- Y Head Start at Georgetown East Elementary
111 Dogwood Rd., Annapolis, MD 21403
- Y Head Start at Meade Heights Elementary
1925 Reece Rd., Ft. Meade, MD 20755
- Y Head Start at Mills Parole Elementary
1 George & Marion Phelps Ln., Annapolis, MD 21401
- Y Head Start at Van Bokkelen Elementary
1140 Reece Rd., Severn, MD 21144
- Y Head Start at Tyler Heights Elementary
200 Janwall St, Annapolis, MD 21403
PUBLIC RELEASE: The Y in Central Maryland announces participation in the MSDE Child and Adult Care Food Program.