The partial list of policies below help ensure that everyone who enters our center has a positive Y experience. For more information, please contact your Y Center.
Guest Policy (partial)
Guests under age 18 must have a parent/guardian sign them in on their first visit. Guests under age 13 must be accompanied by an adult at all times during their visit.
- One complimentary visit per person per year
- Second visit - $5 per person
- Third visit - $10 per person
- Guests may visit up to 14 times in a calendar year
- $5 guest fee per person per visit
- Guest must live outside the state of Maryland
- There is no fee for guests from other Y Associations outside the state of Maryland
Pool Youth Age Policy (partial)
- Children age 7 and under must be directly supervised by a parent/guardian who is actively engaged in the water with them and follow swim test guidelines.
- Children age 8 - 10 must be directly supervised by a parent/guardian who is on the pool deck and follow swim test guidelines.
- Youth age 11 - 12 may be in the pool without a parent/guardian, but must follow swim test guidelines and parent/guardian must remain in the center.
- Youth age 13 and up may be in the pool without a parent/guardian, but must follow swim test guidelines.
Open Swim Test (partial)
Shallow Water Test (for anyone under age 17 in the pool)
- the water is at or below arm pit level and
- the individual can stand with both feet flat on the bottom of the pool and
- the individual can right themselves after they have leaned backwards lifting both feet off the bottom of the pool and coming bacl to a standing position with feet flat on the bottom of the pool.
If you do not pass the shallow water test, you can still get in the water if you wear a coast guard approved life vest (available at the Y) and you have a parent within arm's reach.
Deep Water Test (for anyone under age 17 swimming in water above arm pit level)
- you can swim 25 yds without stopping at any point and
- you can tread water for 1 minute without touching any surfaces and
- water was above their head as they jumped in the deep end and
- you are able to perform a back float
Class Make-Up Policy
If a fee-based class is cancelled by the Y, we will make every attempt to provide a make-up class within the session. If we are unable to provide a make-up class, a proportionate credit will be applied to your Y account. Unless otherwise noted, classes run for 7 weeks with the 8th week reserved for make-ups, if needed.
Inclement Weather Policy
All unplanned closings, delays and cancellation announcements will be made via our text alert system. We strongly recommend that all Y Members sign up for text alerts. You can sign up for alerts that impact an entire Center or a specific program. Set your alert preferences at ymaryland.org/alerts.
These announcements will also be posted on your Y’s Facebook page.