The partial list of policies below help ensure that everyone who enters our center has a positive Y experience. For full details and policies, please refer to our member handbook.
Guest Policy (partial)
Each membership unit receives five complimentary guest passes per calendar year to share the Y experience with friends and family. Additional guest passes are not available for purchase. All guests must be accompanied by a Y member. A per visit fee to access the Y is not available.
All Y centers have guest hours and may restrict guest usage to ensure the safety and comfort of our members. We highly encourage members to contact the Y prior to visiting with a guest to ask about guest restrictions due to demand on the facility.
PROGRAM CREDIT/REFUND POLICY (PARTIAL)
If a fee-based class is cancelled by the Y, a proportionate credit will be applied to your Y account. For full policy information, please see page 18 of the member handbook.
Pool Youth Age Policy (partial)
- Children age 7 and under must be directly supervised by a parent/guardian who is actively engaged in the water with them and follow swim test guidelines.
- Children age 8 - 9 must be directly supervised by a parent/guardian who is on the pool deck and follow swim test guidelines.
- Youth age 10 - 12 may be in the pool without a parent/guardian, but must follow swim test guidelines and parent/guardian must remain in the center.
- Youth age 13 and up may be in the pool without a parent/guardian, but must follow swim test guidelines.
Open Swim Test (partial)
Shallow Water Test (for anyone under age 17 in the pool)
- the water is at or below armpit level and
- you can stand with both feet flat on the bottom of the pool and
- you can right yourself after you have leaned backwards lifting both feet off the bottom of the pool and come back to a standing position with both feet flat on the bottom of the pool
If you do not pass the shallow water test, you can still get in the water if you wear a coast guard approved life vest (available at the Y) and you have a parent within arm's reach.
Deep Water Test (for anyone under age 17 swimming in water above armpit level)
- the water is above your head as you jump in the deep end and (this line was moved to the top)
- you can swim 25 yards without stopping at any point and
- you can tread water for 1 minute without touching any surfaces and
- you are able to perform a back float
Inclement Weather Policy
All unplanned closings, delays and cancellation announcements will be made via our text alert system. We strongly recommend that all Y members sign up for text alerts. You can sign up for alerts that impact an entire Center or a specific program. Set your alert preferences at ymaryland.org/ymdalerts.
These announcements will also be posted on your Y’s Facebook page.