Y Preschool is a trusted early childhood education program that combines a safe and happy educational environment with an intentional, proven curriculum designed to stimulate intellectual, emotional, and social growth - all with the focus of preparing children for success in kindergarten and beyond. Y Preschool programs use the Frog Street Curriculum for Infants through Threes and MSDE Children Study their World Curriculum for Pre-K to help children become enthusiastic, lifelong learners.
Our program provides development opportunities for young children to:
- learn through play
- develop cognitive and physical health
- become enthusiastic, inquisitive learners
- develop character (caring, honesty, respect, responsibility)
- be independent and self-confident
Our curriculum reflects best practices in early childhood education, providing children with a solid, coherent foundation for learning. Our work is measured by the Maryland State Department of Education and our "graduates" routinely assess at or above state norms for school readiness.
- Full-day full-time (4-5 days/week) preschool for ages 2-5
- Full-day part-time (2-3 days/week) preschool for ages 2 - 5
- Half-day pre-k (Mon-Fri 9:30 am - 1:30 pm) for ages 4 - 5
- Before & After School Enrichment for ages 5 - 12. Serving students from Arbutus Elementary/Middle and Catonsville, Hillcrest and Relay Elementary (transportation provided).
Accreditations & Proven Results
Maryland State Public Schools currently use the Maryland Model for School Readiness (MMSR) Assessment to measure the school readiness level of upcoming kindergartners. The Maryland State average for children fully ready to enter kindergarten is 82%. Children enrolled in Y Preschool routinely assess at, or more often, above state averages across all school readiness measures.
The Betty Sterner Y Preschool in Catonsville is accredited by:
- Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE)
- Maryland Excels Level 3
- National Early Childhood Program Accreditation (NECPA)
Using the Core Knowledge Preschool Curriculum and the Creative Curriculum, our experienced teachers teach the skills related to school-readiness as measured by the Maryland State Department of Education. Both curriculums demonstrate best practices and are comprised of skills and activities that provide children with solid, coherent foundations for later learning.
The most important goal of our curriculum is to help children become enthusiastic learners. This means encouraging children to be active and creative explorers who are not afraid to try out their ideas and share their own thoughts. We teach children how to learn, allowing them to learn at their own pace and in the ways that are best for them. We instill good habits and attitudes, character development, and a positive sense of self which will benefit children throughout their lives.