The partial list of policies below help ensure that everyone who enters our center has a positive Y experience. For full details and policies, please refer to our Member Handbook.
Guest Policy (partial)
As a membership-based organization that serves its community, the Y extends our member services to current members who are encouraging a friend to join or providing opportunities to bring a friend for a visit. All centers have Guest Hours and may restrict guest usage to ensure the safety and comfort of our current members. We highly encourage members to contact the Y prior to visiting with a guest to ask about guest restrictions due to demand on the facility.
Guests under age 18 must have a parent/guardian sign them in on their first visit. Guests under age 13 must be accompanied by an adult at all times during their visit.
- One complimentary visit per person, per year (Jan 1—Dec 31) when accompanied by a current member
- Additional visit (or visits without accompany by a current member) $10 per person, per visit
When you join the Y, you become part of a national movement of 18.1 million members in more than 2,400 Ys. Because each Y is autonomous, not-for-profit, and not a franchise, local policies vary on the use of equipment, facilities and services by visiting Y members. If you plan to visit another Y, please call that Y regarding visiting member policies. General guidelines for Y Members outside of the Y in Central Maryland:
- Guest must maintain a majority of their visits (in a month) at their hometown Y.
- No additional charges for visit.
- Use of facilities, services, and equipment are included; however, discounts on programs and services may vary.
- All Y in Central Maryland locations are part of one association; therefore, a visit to one location counts as a visit to all Central Maryland locations.
Fitness Center Youth Age Policy (partial)
- Children age 7 and under are not permitted in the fitness center.
- Children age 12 and under must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- Children age 8 - 12 may use the cardio equipment, provided they complete the Kids Cardio class (indicated by a yellow wristband) ; equipment must fit properly and the child must meet the following height requirements and be directly supervised by a parent/guardian: treadmill and rower: 52"; Keiser bike: 59"; all other cardio equipment: 58"
- Youth age 13 - 15 may use the cardio and strength equipment (but not free weights), provided they have taken the Teen Quest training class (indicated by a blue wristband). If the class has not been taken, only cardio equipment may be used after completion of Kids Cardio class (indicated by a yellow wristband) and proper fit of the equipment is met. The child must be directly supervised by a parent/guardian.
- Youth age 16 and up have no restrictions (aside from behavior).
Pool Youth Age Policy (partial)
- Children age 7 and under must be directly supervised by a parent/guardian who is actively engaged in the water with them and follow swim test guidelines.
- Children age 8 - 9 must be directly supervised by a parent/guardian who is on the pool deck and follow swim test guidelines.
- Youth age 10 - 12 may be in the pool without a parent/guardian, but must follow swim test guidelines and parent/guardian must remain in the center.
- Youth age 13 and up may be in the pool without a parent/guardian, but must follow swim test guidelines.
Open Swim Test (partial)
Shallow Water Test (for anyone under age 17 in the pool)
- the water is at or below arm pit level and
- you can stand with both feet flat on the bottom of the pool and
- you can right yourself after you have leaned backwards lifting both feet off the bottom of the pool and come back to a standing position with both feet flat on the bottom of the pool
If you do not pass the shallow water test, you can still get in the water if you wear a coast guard approved life vest (available at the Y) and you have a parent within arm's reach.
Deep Water Test (for anyone under age 17 swimming in water above arm pit level)
- the water is above your head as you jump in the deep end and (this line was moved to the top)
- you can swim 25 yds without stopping at any point and
- you can tread water for 1 minute without touching any surfaces and
- you are able to perform a back float
Stay & Play Policy (partial)
This complimentary service is available to children age 6 weeks to 10 years who are part of a family membership. Parents participating in activities in the center are permitted to leave their child(ren) with Stay & Play staff for a maximum period of 1 1/2 hours.
Drop-off and Pick-up
- Photo ID will be required when using Stay & Play.
- Parents must sign-in children when dropping them off.
- All children will receive a name tag.
- Parents must sign-out children when picking them up.
- Photo ID will be returned once you’ve signed your child out.
- The person who is pictured on the photo ID must be the one to drop-off and pick-up.
Class Make-Up Policy
If a fee-based class is cancelled by the Y, we will make every attempt to provide a make-up class within the session. If we are unable to provide a make-up class, a proportionate credit will be applied to your Y account. Unless otherwise noted, classes run for 7 weeks with the 8th week reserved for make-ups, if needed.
Inclement Weather Policy
All unplanned closings, delays and cancellation announcements will be made via our text alert system. We strongly recommend that all Y Members sign up for text alerts. You can sign up for alerts that impact an entire Center or a specific program. Set your alert preferences at ymaryland.org/alerts.
These announcements will also be posted on your Y’s Facebook page.