EARLY HEAD START
Early Head Start is a full-day, year-round program for pregnant women, infants and toddlers ages 0 – 3. The program operates Monday – Friday, 9am -3pm. There are two program options:
Home-based program for pregnant women and children ages 0-3 where Family Development Specialists work with families in their home on a weekly basis
Center-based program for children ages 0-3
Early Head Start uses the Creative Curriculum for Infants and Toddlers. The philosophy behind this curriculum is that in the early years, children explore the world around them by using all of their senses. Through use of this curriculum, we aim to:
- Help children become enthusiastic learners
- Allow children to learn at their own pace and in ways that are best for them
- Instill a positive sense of self that will make a difference throughout their lives
- Focus on the full development of the whole child: spirit, mind & body
- Social Development – helping children feel comfortable, to trust their environment
- Emotional Development – build self-confidence
- Physical Development – help children increase their large and small motor skills
- Cognitive Development – help children become confident learners by letting them tryout their own ideas and experience success
Traditional Head Start is a full-day (8:30am - 2:30pm) program for children ages 3-5 where we teach skills related to school readiness as recommended and measured by the Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE).
The curriculum is skills-based and involves the family as active partners in healthy growth and development. Working with parents and maintaining high quality classroom environments, we prepare children to be successful by teaching them age-appropriate fundamentals such as:
- Reading - letter sounds, word families, reading/being read to, book awareness, etc.
- Writing - letter shapes, spacing, upper and lowercase, punctuation, etc.
- Math - numbers, counting, grouping, addition, subtraction, math facts, etc.
- Circle/Small Group Time - name recognition, calendar, dramatic play, educational songs, science, library, etc.
- Health & Wellness - I Am Moving, I Am Learning; a preschool curriculum that teaches and reinforces academic skills through music and movement, daily outdoor play, swimming (where available), physical education and more; generously funded by Giant Food's Our Family Foundation
- Arts & Humanities - replicating the work of the masters, finger painting, crafts, etc.
HOW TO ENROLL YOUR CHILD
Head Start is a fully funded program. Families must apply for their child’s scholarship to participate.
To apply, please contact the Head Start center closest to your home. A Family Service Advocate or Family Development Specialist will explain the enrollment process and arrange a time to meet with you to complete an application. Please be prepared to bring the following documents:
- Proof of age (birth certificate or legal document for child 0-5, proof of pregnancy)
- Proof of Residency (current lease, phone bill, BGE, etc.)
- Proof of Income (W2, tax form 1040, 2 current consecutive check stubs, SSI, child support, etc.)
Children are enrolled based on a selection system that ranks families by need. Upon enrollment you must provide:
- A record of your child’s immunizations
- Documentation of your child’s most recent physical and lead test/level
- Other supporting documents as requested