Traditional Head Start is a full-day (8:30am - 2:30pm) program for children ages 3-5 where we teach skills related to school readiness as recommended and measured by the Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE).
The curriculum is skills-based and involves the family as active partners in healthy growth and development. Working with parents and maintaining high quality classroom environments, we prepare children to be successful by teaching them age-appropriate fundamentals such as:
- Reading - letter sounds, word families, reading/being read to, book awareness, etc.
- Writing - letter shapes, spacing, upper and lowercase, punctuation, etc.
- Math - numbers, counting, grouping, addition, subtraction, math facts, etc.
- Circle/Small Group Time - name recognition, calendar, dramatic play, educational songs, science, library, etc.
- Health & Wellness - I Am Moving, I Am Learning; a preschool curriculum that teaches and reinforces academic skills through music and movement, daily outdoor play, swimming (where available), physical education and more; generously funded by Giant Food's Our Family Foundation
- Arts & Humanities - replicating the work of the masters, finger painting, crafts, etc.
How to Enroll Your Child
Head Start is a fully funded program. Families must apply for their child’s scholarship to participate.
To apply, please contact the Head Start center or email us at email@example.com. A Family Service Advocate or Family Development Specialist will explain the enrollment process and arrange a time to meet with you to complete an application. Please be prepared to bring the following documents:
- Proof of age (birth certificate or legal document for child 0-5, proof of pregnancy)
- Proof of Residency (current lease, phone bill, BGE, etc.)
- Proof of Income (W2, tax form 1040, 2 current consecutive check stubs, SSI, child support, etc.)
Children are enrolled based on a selection system that ranks families by need. Upon enrollment you must provide:
- A record of your child’s immunizations
- Documentation of your child’s most recent physical and lead test/level
- Other supporting documents as requested