The partial list of policies below help ensure that everyone who enters our center has a positive Y experience. For full details and policies, please refer to our Member Handbook.
Guest Policy (partial)
As a membership-based organization that serves its community, the Y extends our member services to current members who are encouraging a friend to join or providing opportunities to bring a friend for a visit. All centers have Guest Hours and may restrict guest usage to ensure the safety and comfort of our current members. We highly encourage members to contact the Y prior to visiting with a guest to ask about guest restrictions due to demand on the facility.
Guests under age 18 must have a parent/guardian sign them in on their first visit. Guests under age 13 must be accompanied by an adult at all times during their visit.
- One complimentary visit per person, per year (Jan 1—Dec 31) when accompanied by a current member
- Additional visit (or visits without accompany by a current member) $10 per person, per visit
When you join the Y, you become part of a national movement of 18.1 million members in more than 2,400 Ys. Because each Y is autonomous, not-for-profit, and not a franchise, local policies vary on the use of equipment, facilities and services by visiting Y members. If you plan to visit another Y, please call that Y regarding visiting member policies. General guidelines for Y Members outside of the Y in Central Maryland:
- Guest must maintain a majority of their visits (in a month) at their hometown Y.
- No additional charges for visit.
- Use of facilities, services, and equipment are included; however, discounts on programs and services may vary.
- All Y in Central Maryland locations are part of one association; therefore, a visit to one location counts as a visit to all Central Maryland locations.
Pool Youth Age Policy (partial)
- Children age 7 and under must be directly supervised by a parent/guardian who is actively engaged in the water with them and follow swim test guidelines.
- Children age 8 - 9 must be directly supervised by a parent/guardian who is on the pool deck and follow swim test guidelines.
- Youth age 10 - 12 may be in the pool without a parent/guardian, but must follow swim test guidelines and parent/guardian must remain in the center.
- Youth age 13 and up may be in the pool without a parent/guardian, but must follow swim test guidelines.
Open Swim Test (partial)
Shallow Water Test (for anyone under age 17 in the pool)
- the water is at or below arm pit level and
- the individual can stand with both feet flat on the bottom of the pool and
- the individual can right themselves after they have leaned backwards lifting both feet off the bottom of the pool and coming back to a standing position with feet flat on the bottom of the pool.
If you do not pass the shallow water test, you can still get in the water if you wear a coast guard approved life vest (available at the Y) and you have a parent within arm's reach.
Deep Water Test (for anyone under age 17 swimming in water above arm pit level)
- you can swim 25 yds without stopping at any point and
- you can tread water for 1 minute without touching any surfaces and
- water was above their head as they jumped in the deep end and
- you are able to perform a back float
Class Make-Up Policy
If a fee-based class is cancelled by the Y, we will make every attempt to provide a make-up class within the session. If we are unable to provide a make-up class, a proportionate credit will be applied to your Y account. Unless otherwise noted, classes run for 7 weeks with the 8th week reserved for make-ups, if needed.
Inclement Weather Policy
All unplanned closings, delays and cancellation announcements will be made via our text alert system. We strongly recommend that all Y Members sign up for text alerts. You can sign up for alerts that impact an entire Center or a specific program. Set your alert preferences at ymaryland.org/alerts.
These announcements will also be posted on your Y’s Facebook page.