Welcome to the Y's Youth Sports Program
At the Y, we understand that before children can be great athletes, they need to be great at the fundamentals. That's where we fit in - shaping tomorrow's athletes today. We build skills. We build character. We have fun!
Y youth sports are run under the Y sports philosophy which is the framework and foundation for our sports programs. The Y sports philosophy is based on seven principles:
- Everyone plays.
- Safety first.
- Fair play.
- Positive competition.
- Family involvement.
- Sport for all.
- Sport for fun.
Click here to learn more about the Y sports philosophy.
Youth Sports Focus
At the Y, we focus on providing affordable programs that
develop the skills of children, primarily ages 3 - 8
(although we do offer some programming for older children).
Y coaches help players recognize their talents and the importance of being active. They also demonstrate, teach and reinforce the Y's core values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility; challenging players to do the same.
We focus on...
- Skill development
- Game play
- Character development
- Enjoyment of the game
When a player reaches an age or developmental level that requires a more intense program, we encourage you to take advantage of the many leagues or competitive opportunities that exist. We take pride in knowing the Y youth sports program helped prepare your child for the next level of sports and more importantly that their character is just as strong, if not stronger than their game.
Youth Sports Programs
Everybody plays. Everybody wins.
All participants receive equal practice time and play at least half of every game.
Below is a list of the core youth sports programs offered at the Y. To see a complete list of sports programs available at your nearest Family Center Y, click here. Programs vary by location.
- Basketball: Skills include dribbling, passing, shooting, and offensive and defensive technique.
- Football/Flag Football: Skills include throwing, catching, footwork, kicking, punting, and offensive and defensive tactics.
- Lacrosse: Skills include cradling, passing, catching and scooping
- Sports Mix: Participants will engage in a variety of sports such as basketball, soccer, football and more.
- Soccer: Skills include dribbling, passing, shooting, and offensive and defensive technique.
- T-ball: Skills include batting, throwing, catching and base running
- Volleyball: Skills include serving, passing, setting, hitting, blocking and offensive and defensive positions. (Program available for older age groups)
The Y's approach to adult sports is similar to our approach for youth sports. Even at the adult level, we focus on fair play and sportsmanship. Participants are encouraged to be competitive, but always in a respectful, non-aggressive manner.
We currently offer adult basketball and volleyball at Family Center Y's where court space is available. Drop-in games and organized leagues are available. Y Centers offering adult sports include:
- Carroll County Family Center Y
- Dancel Family Center Y
- Druid Hill Family Center Y
- Harry & Jeanette Weinberg Family Center Y
- Towson Family Center Y
- Walter & Betty Ward Family Center Y
Programs vary by location. For schedules, click here.