The partial list of policies below help ensure that everyone who enters our center has a positive Y experience. For more information, please view our Member Handbook or contact your Y Center.
Guest Policy (partial)
Guests under age 18 must have a parent/guardian sign them in on their first visit. Guests under age 13 must be accompanied by an adult at all times during their visit.
- One complimentary visit per person per year
- Second visit - $5 per person
- Third visit - $10 per person
- Guests may visit up to 14 times in a calendar year
- $5 guest fee per person per visit
- Guest must live outside the state of Maryland
- There is no fee for guests from other Y Associations outside the state of Maryland
Fitness Center Youth Age Policy (partial)
- Children age 7 and under are not permitted on the fitness center without Y staff approval.
- Children age 10 and under must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- Children age 8 - 10 may use the cardio equipment, but equipment must fit properly and the child must meet the following height requirements and be directly supervised by a parent/guardian: treadmill and rower: 52" all other cardio equipment: 58"
- Youth age 11 - 15 may use the cardio and strength equipment (but not free weights), provided they have taken the Teen Strength Training class. If the class has not been taken, only cardio equipment may be used after proper fit of the equipment is met. The child must be directly supervised by a parent/guardian.
- Youth age 16 and up have no restrictions (aside from behavior).
Pool Youth Age Policy (partial)
- Children age 7 and under must be directly supervised by a parent/guardian who is actively engaged in the water with them and follow swim test guidelines.
- Children age 8 - 10 must be directly supervised by a parent/guardian who is on the pool deck and follow swim test guidelines.
- Youth age 11 - 12 may be in the pool without a parent/guardian, but must follow swim test guidelines and parent/guardian must remain in the center.
- Youth age 13 and up may be in the pool without a parent/guardian, but must follow swim test guidelines.
Open Swim Test (partial)
Shallow Water Test (for anyone under age 17 in the pool)
- the water is at or below arm pit level and
- you can stand with both feet flat on the bottom of the pool and
- you can right yourself after you have leaned backwards lifting both feet off the bottom of the pool and come back to a standing position with both feet flat on the bottom of the pool
If you do not pass the shallow water test, you can still get in the water if you wear a coast guard approved life vest (available at the Y) and you have a parent within arm's reach.
Deep Water Test (for anyone under age 17 swimming in water above arm pit level)
- the water is above your head as you jump in the deep end and (this line was moved to the top)
- you can swim 25 yds without stopping at any point and
- you can tread water for 1 minute without touching any surfaces and
- you are able to perform a back float
Stay & Play Policy (partial)
This complimentary service is available to children age 6 weeks to 10 years who are part of a family membership. Parents participating in activities in the center are permitted to leave their child(ren) with Stay & Play staff for a maximum period of 1 1/2 hours.
Drop-off and Pick-up
- Photo ID will be required when using Stay & Play.
- Parents must sign-in children when dropping them off.
- All children will receive a name tag.
- Parents must sign-out children when picking them up.
- Photo ID will be returned once you’ve signed your child out.
- The person who is pictured on the photo ID must be the one to drop-off and pick-up.
Class Make-Up Policy
If a fee-based class is cancelled by the Y, we will make every attempt to provide a make-up class within the session. If we are unable to provide a make-up class, a proportionate credit will be applied to your Y account. Unless otherwise noted, classes run for 7 weeks with the 8th week reserved for make-ups, if needed.
Inclement Weather Policy
All unplanned closings, delays and cancellation announcements will be made via our text alert system. We strongly recommend that all Y Members sign up for text alerts. You can sign up for alerts that impact an entire Center or a specific program. Set your alert preferences at ymaryland.org/alerts.
These announcements will also be posted on your Y’s Facebook page.