The Y of Central Maryland has been serving the needs of the community for nearly 160 years. We’ve touched the lives of generations past and continue to impact the lives of generations to come. Some may know us best for our leadership position in the areas of “gym and swim”, but the growing masses know us for so much more. We invite you to go deeper and get connected to the Y!
Reinvesting in the community.
A year in review.
The breadth, depth and history of the Y.
The Y of Central Maryland is a charitable organization dedicated to developing the full potential of every individual through programs that build healthy spirit, mind and body for all.
At the Y, we are committed to providing family-oriented, affordable, high quality programs that lead to:
- every child and youth deepening positive values, their commitment to service and their motivation to learn
- every family building stronger bonds, achieving greater work/life balance and becoming more engaged with their community
- an enhanced quality of life in the communities in which we operate
The Y is a place for everyone. People of all races, ages, faiths, gender, abilities, backgrounds and incomes are welcome.
Our programs and services are infused with our four positive character values: Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility. We are committed to challenging our members, staff and volunteers to demonstrate these values.
YOUTH DEVELOPMENT: Nurturing the potential of every child and teen
HEALTHY LIVING: Improving Central Maryland’s health & well-being
SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY: Giving back and providing support to our neighbors
Reaching over 240,000 people, the Y will be a primary catalyst for Central Maryland's families and individuals to achieve their full potential in spirit, mind and body. It is only once we begin to actually influence lifestyle choices and build sufficient developmental assets in our community on a significant enough scale that we will have lasting, residual influence on the health and well-being of children, youth, adults and families. We will provide experiences and programs that are memorable, unique and enriching, which foster family and community bonds, build character, and promote success for all. By doing so, we will fundamentally enhance the quality of life in the communities in which we operate.
The Y is, and always will be, dedicated to developing healthy, confident, connected and secure children, adults, families and communities. Every day, our impact is felt when an individual makes a healthy choice, when a mentor inspires a child and when a community comes together for the common good.
Rooted in Baltimore City and Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Carroll, Harford and Howard County communities, we are the leading provider of health & well-being programs. We are also the largest provider of licensed childcare, serving more children and youth in more ways than any other organization in the state:
- 8 Early Childhood Development Centers
- 69 Before & After School Enrichment Sites
- 15 Head Start Centers
- 17 Summer Camps
- 30+ Community Outreach and Youth Asset Development Sites
- 11 Family Center Y’s
- Hundreds of health & well-being classes (inclusive of sports, fitness and aquatics) for children and adults
Our ability to impact more people means a healthier Central Maryland:
- 65,958 individuals choose to get active, healthy and more connected to their community as Y members
- 23,944 youth participate in Y programs, benefiting from the expertise of 2,036 staff members and over 1,450 volunteers
- 141,650 lives (and counting) are positively impacted by the Y
Everyone is afforded a Y experience, regardless of ability to pay:
- 33% of our budget goes to providing programs and services to those who otherwise could not afford them – 86% of which support programs and services for children and youth
- More than $11 million a year is reinvested into communities in the form of scholarships, resources and community-building programs and activities